Wire and Sinker EDM
Industrial Tool and Die, Inc. can produce complex features in tool steel plates and mold bases using our Wire and Sinker EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) machines. The advantage to EDM is that shapes can be cut into hard tool steel without exotic cutting tools.
Wire EDM is used to make mold and die tools and tool parts in workpieces up to 15" thick made from very hard tool steel materials that would be difficult to machine with cutting tools. Because of the flexibility of the wire and its guides, and the direct from CAD surface model CNC programming, we can accurately cut extremely intricate and complex shapes into the tool steel workpiece using Wire EDM.
Sinker EDM also produces complex shapes in tool materials. However, instead of a wire electrode, the sinker EDM electrode has a specific shape. The electrode is then sunk into the tool material to produce the feature shape in the tool.
EDM in general can produce very complex shapes in hard tool steel materials in one operation whereas conventional machining may take several operations to produce the desired geometry. Industrial Tool and Die, Inc. employs three precision Charmilles EDM machines to augment the conventional machining methods for producing some of southern California's most exotic molds, dies, jigs, and fixtures for the Aerospace, Automotive, Medical, Commercial, and the Electrical Connector industries.
Please inquire about how Industrial Tool and Die, Inc. can best serve your industry by contacting us today. One of our helpful and friendly sales representatives will contact you immediately to discuss your tool and die projects.
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Wire and Sinker EDM Capabilities
- EDM Machines
- (1) MD+ Pro II Wire EDM
(1) Charmilles D-10
(1) Charmilles D-20
(1) Charmilles E-110
- Down to +/- 0.0001"
- We handle all tool and die materials including, but certainly not limited to:
- CR/HR Steel
- A2, S7, M2, H13, D2 4130, 4340 Tool Steels
- 300, 302, 304, 316, 15-4, 17-4 Stainless Steels
- CPM-110 and all Powder Metal (PM)
- CAD Files Accepted
- SolidWorks Files, Part, Assembly, Drawing, DXF, DWG, Adobe Photoshop Files, Adobe Illustrator Files, Lib Feat Part, Template, Parasolid, IGES, STEP AP203/214, ACIS, VDAFS, VRML, STL, Catia Graphics, ProE Part, ProE Assembly, UGII, Inventor Part, Inventor Assembly, Solid Edge Part, Solid Edge Assembly, CADKEY, IDF, Rhino Files
- GibbsCAM powerful CAD/CAM interface software allows for direct programming of our CNC Mills, Lathes, Wire EDM, Jig Grinders, Jig Borers, ID/OD Grinders and Surface Grinders.
This unique software is simple, but very flexible and effective in translating, creating, and modifying 3-D solid and surface models for toolmaking.
- Secondary Services
- Heat Treating
Call for information
Black Oxide Anodizing
- Industries Served
- Inspection Equipment
- (1) Jones & Lamson EPIC 114 Comparator
(4) Complete sets certified gauge blocks and plug gauges
(1) 12" Starret Digi-check height Gage with .00005 readout
(1) 20 Dial Calipers
(1) 1 Surface Plate – size 12 x 18
(1) 3 Surface Plate
Back to Top